Six Awesome Facts About Evel Knievel!
Evel Knievel was one of the most popular daredevils to ever live. Even though he died in 2007, his amazing legacy has continued to grow. Here are a few facts to add to his legend!
1. If you replace the second “e” in his first name with an “i”, it spells evil. No one is sure if this is intentional or not.
2. In addition to his many world records for jumping things, he also holds the world record for most adorable kittens cuddled in a single evening. (497)
3. Didn’t believe in evolution. Did believe in evelution.
4. He invented the word “croissanwich”, but not the concept of using a croissant to make a sandwich.
5. His successful jump across the Grand Canyon, which resulted in a broken leg, was intended as a metaphorical performance art piece about man facing his fear of his own mortality. The media presented him as a lower class idiot risking death to make a few dollars instead of an artist trying to physicalize his deepest thoughts on man’s place in the universe. This misunderstanding of his work may have been the cause of Evel’s alcoholism and drug use that haunted him for the rest of his life.
6. He wore a sparkling red, white and blue suit with a tiny cape, yet was not gay.